The River Wye
www.starvideo.co.uk/wye   
  Star Video > River Wye > Hereford to Monmouth Follow us on Twitter:  Follow Star_Video on Twitter
Star Video

The River Wye from south of Hereford to Monmouth

From Hereford the River Wye winds its way through Herefordshire, meeting the Forest of Dean and on to Monmouth.

View Places along the River Wye in a larger map

 

Mordiford

Just south of the village of Mordiford, the River Lugg joins the River Wye. Mordiford is sited at what was originally a ford over the Lugg. This was bridged in 1352 – the bridge being ‘modernised’ in the sixteenth century. This makes the bridge over the Lugg at Mordiford the oldest bridge in Herefordshire.

In the sixteenth century the Lugg was navigable by boat, with an early flash lock at Mordiford.

There is a legend of a dragon that lives in Hough Wood, East of Mordiford. It terrorised the villagers and  was said to come down from the wood to drink at the confluence of the rivers Wye and Lugg.

The composer Edward Elgar would visit the Lugg at Mordiford, to fish.

 

 

Capler Camp

High above the river Wye, in woodland, is Capler Camp – an iron age hill fort.

The Wye Valley Walk long distance footpath passes through the woods.

Capler Camp is in the parish of Brockhampton. Overlooking the Wye at Brockhampton is an ‘artmarker seat’ with engravings that reflect the river, the parish, and the life that goes on there.

 

The Wye Valley Walk

The Wye Valley Walk follows the Wye from near its mouth at Chepstow. Originally the walk ran as far as Rhayader, but since 2002 has been extended to its source in the Plynlimon Hills.

The Wye Valley Walk is 136 miles (218km) long.

 

Backney Railway Bridge

The stone pillars are all that survives of Backney Railway Bridge. This carried the Hereford, Ross & Gloucester railway over the Wye. This line opened on 1 June 1855.

Just North of the bridge was Backney Halt – a request stop rather than a manned railway station. Backney Halt closed in 1962. This was two years before the Hereford, Ross & Gloucester railway closed to passenger traffic on 2 November 1964, and then freight on 1 November 1965.

 

 

Wilton

The Village of Wilton lies a mile outside the market town of Ross on Wye. In 1100 Henry 1 set up Wilton as one of three manors in Herefordshire, a manor being an area of land, encompassing villages, which are under the control of one feudal head.

Originally, the crossing of the River Wye at Wilton was a ford. However high water levels meant that during the winter months the ford often had to be replaced by a ferry. This led to a wooden bridge. That was replaced by the current red sandstone bridge in 1599.

Both the bridge and Wilton castle – which defended the crossing – were damaged during the Civil War, with one span of Wilton Bridge needing to be rebuilt.

Before repairs made in the 19th Century, the bridge may have been called ‘Elizabeth’s Bridge’ presumably named after the monarch that reigned when it was built. Wilton Bridge was strengthened in 1914.

 

 

Ross on Wye

  This market town is described on a separate page

 

Goodrich Castle

"The noblest ruin in Herefordshire" William Wordsworth

Defending a crossing of the River Wye, Goodrich Castle was first built as an earth and wooden defence following the Norman Invasion. The stone keep was added in the 12th century, and the castle was expanded in the 13th.

Damage to it during the Civil War began Goodrich Castle’s descent into ruin.

By the end of the18th Century the Goodrich Castle was a stop on the Wye Tour as an example of a picturesque ruin.

 

Welsh Bicknor

Although called Welsh Bicknor and having a welsh name ‘Llangystennin Garth Brenni’ this Hamlet is not in Wales. However between 1651 and 1844 it was a detached segment of the Welsh county Monmouthshire – still surrounded by English lands.

Welsh Bicknor has a charming church. The rectory became a Youth Hostel following its sale in the 1960s.

 

The Symonds Yat area

Where the River Wye first dips into the Forest of Dean deserves its own page.

Described here are:

  • Symonds Yat Rock
  • The villages of Symonds Yat
  • The Great Doward Caves

  The Symonds yat area

 

Dixton

Welsh name Llandydiwg, Dixton is a small community on the River Wye, just before it flows into Monmouth.

The building of St Peter’s Church dates at least back to the 12th Century, and there was probably a holy site here prior to that.

The River Wye does flood here and the church has been inundated over the years. An Oak screened balcony at the rear of the church allows precious items to be stored out of water’s reach.

Of note are the brass plaques on one pillar – the record the levels of notable floods over the years.

 

Monmouth

 The border town is described on a separate page.

 

A Year on the Wye DVD

A Year on the Wye DVD cover

 Free:

  River Wye screensaver

  River Wye 2011 calendar

The River Wye at BrockhamptonThe River Wye at Brockhampton
Looking down on tht River Wye from Brockhampton © Star Video 2011

  Links:

Star Video is not responsible for the
content of external web sites.

The bridge at MordifordThe bridge at Mordiford
The ancient bridge at Mordiford © Star Video 2011
Brockhampton Art Marker benchBrockhampton Art Marker bench
The art marker bench at Brockhampton © Star Video 2011


 

The River Wye and the remains of Backney Railway BridgeThe River Wye and the remains of Backney Railway Bridge
Pillars that are all that is left of Backney Railway Bridge © Star Video 2011


 

The River Wye flows under Wilton BridgeThe River Wye flows under Wilton Bridge
The Elizabethan bridge at Wilton © Star Video 2011

 

 

 

 

 

 

Goodrich CastleGoodrich Castle
Goodrich Caste, from the distance © Star Video 2011

 

 

Welsh Bicknor ChurchWelsh Bicknor Church
The picturesque church at Welsh Bicknor © Star Video 2011

 

 

 

Dixton ChurchDixton Church
Dixton Church © Star Video 2011

 

River Wye flood levels in Dixton ChurchRiver Wye flood levels in Dixton Church
One of the flood level makers in Dixton Church © Star Video 2011

 

 

 

© 2011 Star Video